Tuesday, December 21, 2010

5 Ws and an H


It’s nice to sit in a classroom but not be a conventional student. We speak up, we discuss, we shout, we keep quiet, pass around disapproving knowing glances and sleep on the last bench.

So whats so unconventional about that?

Being a student of journalism. It’s odd. It’s very very strange. Pinnacles of frustration, regret, doubts, and those mini epiphanies where you imagine running your nails down the board where the white has replaced the comfort black. We have projectors, pen drive driven lectures, professors high on power point, acting classes in ‘piece to camera’, in house newspapers and narrowcasts where we test the patience of the public. Innovative. Very.

And when I study for my exams, what do I hear? A little voice in my head shouting. Where the hell is the stuff to study?

No way. There is no freaking way one can study for mass communication. Open your ears, eyes, and mind and tell them that communication to you is whatever you want it to be. Journalism is not supposed to be fettered, it sets you free. Then why be chained by the burden of books? Write what is right for you.

I want marks, I crave for them. But these shackles suffocate me. I will most probably end up in the average marks strata but if journalism meant being chained then it is going to catch me and all of us by the neck soon. And what kills us cant be good for us, now can it?

3 comments:

  1. Go for marx , rather than marks , and the shackles will break themselves...........
    nobody can judge my thoughts a put a number on it......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha i like what wanderer has said.

    Enter- Queen song/

    ReplyDelete